I received the good news that one of my pieces was accepted for the Perceptions of Balance Exhibition at Shape Arts. My piece is called ‘Balanced Mind’
I have been labeled ‘mad’ by society, so therefore seen as unbalanced. Society’s way of redressing that is not to help me make sense of the childhood trauma that triggered my psychosis, nor to tackle inequality and discrimination in society because of that label. Its way was to medicate me into submission. For decades I was on antipsychotic medication. I did not laugh or cry on these meds. Is this well balanced? It took away my symptoms but my life too. Is that a fair payoff, a balanced payoff?
A tablet does not cure abuse, isolation, or stigma. But I was sedated, out of society’s hair. They said the tablets would make me feel better. Please define better when I have lost my soul. Maybe you don’t need a soul nowadays.
The message: don’t speak your mind. Your silence and submission are signs of being well-balanced.
So my art shows that the medication weighs heavier, and the promise of peace of mind, of having my life back is an empty promise, not worth the prescription pad it is written on.
I have given up the meds and regained my life. Some may say that shows I am unbalanced. I say it makes perfect sense.
There is a private view of the exhibition on the 20th Sept.
Date: Thursday 20th September
Location: Shape. Deane House Studios, 27 Grenwood Place, London NW5 1LB
Please RSVP to email@example.com and let us know if you have any access requirements.
I keep getting into trouble, by writing things like this:
Being mad means being poor. Being mad means being rejected by society and sometimes your family. It can be lonely. So why not adopt a nutter? The benefits are many: whenever you have company you want to get rid off, introduce them to the nutter in your family. They will magically disappear.
Maybe you have a business rival…just introduce a nutter as your rival’s relative..they will all come running to you for your products…
• £1.50 will buy a coffee to counteract the sedating medication
• £5 will buy cleaning fluids so the nutter can clean the eggs thrown on their front doors by normals
• £10 will pay for telephone bill costs of the nutter trying to contact a professional to help them when they need support but find themselves having their phone calls not returned.
• £15 will pay for the junk food that nutters eat because the medication makes them crave sugars and fat
• £17 pounds will pay for a nutter walker - they will take your nutter out for a run, so they don’t lie in bed all day and they can scare off your neighbours …
• £20 will buy new shoes. The old shoes being worn thin from the largactyl shuffle
• £30 will pay for sex toys. Nobody wants to go out with a nutter, bless them and anyway the medication makes the poor dears impotent (it’s a blessing really)
• £50 will pay for Eurostar ticket out of UK after hospital escape.
• £10000 will pay for the nutter to stay out of the UK so they can’t scrounge off the benefits.
Please give today. Madness is for life not just for Christmas.